16/10/2008

Of Love For Books



I cried like a baby on a plane 2 years ago when reading the beautiful piece by Khaled Hosseini; The Kite Runner and had recommended to every single soul I know to read the book that moved me into tears. A few months ago my boyfriend who was still in love with Hosseini's debut book, bought A Thousand Splendid Suns.






I had to wait a little longer than I imagined for my turn to read the book as I had already exceed my monthly budget, for I had bougt 3 Paulo Coelho books few weeks earlier. If you think his first book is good, the second is...










even better! I don't even recall at which chapter did my eyes got teary. Maybe (just) after few pages turn.

Forget about your handbag wish list for a while. This definately is a must-read book.

I just bought 2 books yesterday, one is Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation (old book, I know) and second is The Best Of Roald Dahl by Roald Dahl. I'm currently reading the Fast Food Nation first for I'm saving the Dahl's book to be read later in Malaysia. (Another reason being, my boyfriend wants to read the FFN too, but too stingy to buy for himself, tula sape suruh beli buku Jimmy Carter's Palestine Peace not Apartheid tu)

Growing up I can say that I'm a bookworm. My weekend was a routine of going to swimming class on Saturday and if class was cancelled, you can find me burying my nose in a good old Enid Blyton's. How much I love all her short stories esp. this one story about a girl who loves to draw on anything, walls, doors etc. etc. even though her mom never fails to probate her from doing so. Then one day she woke up and found out that she had become like one of her own drawing, and the people started to draw on her like she used to and finally she realized that it's not nice to draw anywhere else other than on paper. Like, how berkesan is this story if you read it to your child(ren)? Which explains why none of us (my siblings and I) don't doodle or scribble on wall. Except that my adik-adik love to conteng on my (story)books!

Famous Five and The Secret Seven was also my muses back then although I only read the Malay translated version, oh as well as Nancy Drew (Malay:Siri Salma) and Hardy Boys (Malay:Siri Anak-Anak Encik Hadi). <-- Laugh all you want but that's the translation. I still have the book in my parents' home to prove I'm not kidding.

Oh yes, detective stories intrigued me, way before CSIs. When all kids that I know back at the library read their doses of Sweet Valley Series, I'd be happy if I'd be able to read Enid Blyton's. I guess drama doesn't interest me much, no? I guess one of the reason I read lots of Blyton's books was probably my mom was a fan of her, so it's natural if she (over)exposed her work to me. Come to think about it I love blue (the colour, not the movie, doink!) all thanks to her! Geez mom, no wonder I don't wear pink (now) or had any pink dress during my childhood.

Luckily, I cannot tahan when reading one of Barbara Cartland's (her fav. author) romance y'all, geli-geleman bace, tak bleh blah.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love both of the Khaled Hosseini's books! but hands down, I prefer The Kite Runner, berminggu-minggu teringat-ingat akannya selepas membacanya.

Anonymous said...

marliza radzi: I agree! but somehow I kinda like his second book more..

Anonymous said...

been a while since i last read any book..true story..guess im not a bookworm anymore..like u declared ur self as "not a shopaholic" anymore :P

but khaled hosseini sure has a colorful bg...guess ill give it a shot wen i have more time..

Anonymous said...

munie:beli and bace,seriously best. Gerenti tak rugi.